The Christmas season is filled with so many activities that it can be challenging to channel our thoughts on God’s precious gift of his son.
Each year, I try to press into this time of waiting for our Savior’s birth a little more deeply…
Today I hope you will join me as I consider this marvelous painting by Edward Burne-Jones called The Golden Stairs. At first, I’m not sure why I am drawn to this image…
But if I unpack it slowly it might reveal a mystery…
- I see a group of young women processing down a spiral staircase…
- because of the opening to the sky and the symbolic presence of doves,
- my mind quickly connects to the idea of angels descending this golden staircase from heaven.
The mood of peace:
- Graceful and flowing almost soundlessly down the stairs.
- Their classic garments outline the beauty of their bodies as the continue towards their goal in relaxed unity.
- White, silver, gold tones are individually struck and harmonized in variation.
- To open a window…a portal into the divine.
- To bring us glad tidings of comfort and joy.
- To play for us and to reveal the heavenly music of the spheres.
May God grant us this holy vision and fill our hearts with His music once more.
“Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.’” ~ Luke 2: 13-14